SLEEPING BEAUTIES PART- I

Sometimes in our lives when we see certain things we feel a soft, loving & and a touching sensation that flows over our mind and body. I had such feelings when I saw my cute little daughter sleeping. Today, my wife, my daughter and I smile at the way our pet (Lab)  sleeps – the posture, sprawled on the floor and his snores sometimes make us  laugh.
Just look at a bird or an animal sleeping,without disturbing them. What a beautiful process, a biological rhythm that the nature has given to us. A state of world away from our real world, innocent, peaceful and secured.
Animals…how do they sleep? We know that Fish sleep with their eyes open but Ants and Honeybees never sleep. The Bullfrog is reportedly the only animal that never sleeps or profoundly rests. How about the others? It would be interesting to know! 
All animals have a daily pattern of rest and activity. Some animals are more active during the day and some are more active during the night but they all need some form of rest. Every one of them sleeps with eyes closed or opened, dead to the world, like a Dog sprawled on the floor, or it can be a relaxed state of rest and inactivity, which are observed in Insects.
The duration differs among different species and interestingly the maximum is the Koala who sleeps up to 22 hours  and the minimum is Giraffe who sleeps up to 2 hours in a day. A snail can sleep for three years.
Humans sleep on average around three hours lesser than other Primates like chimps, rhesus monkeys, squirrel monkeys and baboons, all of whom sleep for 10 hours. Babies and elderly people sleep more and the average human will spend 1/3 or their life sleeping, which equates to about 20 - 25 years over 75 Year life span. 
Ducks at risk of attack by predators are able to balance the need for sleep and survival, keeping one half of the brain awake while the other slips into sleep mode. 
An Albatross can sleep while it flies. It apparently dozes while cruising at 25 mph.
Elephants sleep standing up during non-REM sleep, but lie down for REM sleep.
Scientists have recorded sleep-like EEG patterns in birds, reptiles and mammals, but it is not clear if insects and other invertebrates also sleep.
I have collected some pictures of these sleeping beauties which I hope will make you enjoy too!
MORE IN NEXT WEEK! READ PART II

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

A NOTE FROM THE BLOGGER

Hello! I appreciate your interest & patience while browsing this blog. Being yourself an animal lover, you would be kind to bear with me a little slow loading due to HQ graphics. It only happens in the first time and once the web cache / cookies are created, you will feel that it’s worth the small wait.

The blog is updated periodically. You will never miss the contents of this Blog if your Browser is tuned with Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX installed.

Some of the pictures displayed in my weblog are from my collections which I have been gathering from internet. I sincerely thank the creators for allowing me to place the same as per my liking to match my presentations. I am utilizing such pictures without altering their meta content and descriptions and in case the author of those images feels that the same is copy right owned I will ensure removal.

Dr. MUDHAN

MY BLOGS & BADGES

Blogger Liara Covert said...

It’s amazing how many different ways exist to explore creativity. Your blog reminds visitors that they are unlimited beings with much untapped potential. Keep smiling and inspiring people.