IT SHOULD ’NT HAPPEN TO A STUDENT VET !

IT SHOULD ’NT HAPPEN TO A STUDENT VET !


THIS IS ONE OF MY LIFE TIME STORIES WHICH I DEDICATE TO JAMES HERRIOT; THE AUTHOR OF ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL. HIS NOVEL MADE ME PICK UP THE FINEST ENGLISH WORDS TO REFLECT HUMAN FEELINGS.

I remember, I was in my pre-final year, doing Veterinary Medicine – it was the first day of my hospital duty.
I was nervous and a sense of doom enveloped me. I thought that I should get some help from the staff.
I went near the Clinician, my face was wan.
“Sir, I am new to this ward; Can you please guide me?” I asked him.
He nodded his head up and down. “Then what! Go to the first table-fill up the new case sheets-
I will come.” He shouted.
I was at the table.
A lovely brown haired girl entered with a dog. She was standing in front me. I felt panicky and got into a state of tremor.
“Can I help you?” I babbled, suddenly conscious that I had been staring at her. I tried to alter my lips, but they exposed a sheepish grin!
“It’s very kind of you, doctor” she smiled.
I took the case sheet from her and started filling it up.
Species:Canine/Breed:Pom/Color:White/Sex:Male/Age: …I looked at her,and asked
What’s the age?”
“Fifteen years Doctor.”
I filled it, and went to the clinician .While he was going through my first performance ,suddenly he roared .” What is that! Fifteen years of age? Are you sure? Go and ask her!”
I went to her. I pointed out the dog and ask her again.
“What is the age?”
“Four years, Doctor”, she said calmly.
“What! You told me 15 years just a while ago! I felt stunned
“That’s my age, Doctor.”
“Oh!” I gulped a dram of saliva with a gasp!

Of course, I remember some more of my experience in the same ward.
I used to ask my clients the name of their pets and then I used to treat them by calling them by names.
One day, two boys came to my table. I looked at them and at my patient. He was a nice non descript dog. I really loved his look.
“What’s his name?” I asked
“…Mani.”
“OH!”I STARTED. “ You are a very good boy, come on, sit down. I am here to help you….” I was taking the history of my patient, whether Mani was taking his food normally, was he obedient and so on.
Suddenly I noted some glances being exchanged between the boys. I looked at them. One boy was laughing at me..
“Why are you laughing?” I asked curiously.
“His name is Mani, Doctor”, he showed the other boy.
“….!”
And then there was an encounter with the young lady with a Spaniel.
It was an old case. I took the case sheet and came to know that the dog was positive for ANKY- Ankylostomiasis, a common hookworm infection in dogs. The dog seemed to be restless and tried to get away from the lady who was holding it in leash.
Any dog that has ‘anky’ would have itching. I asked her, “Is he scratching?”
“Yes, Doctor!” she left the dog on the table and rubbed her forearm, gave a vague smile and said,
“He’s scratching me….!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

.

.

A NOTE FROM THE BLOGGER

Hello! I appreciate your interest & patience while browsing this blog. Being yourself an animal lover, you would be kind to bear with me a little slow loading due to HQ graphics. It only happens in the first time and once the web cache / cookies are created, you will feel that it’s worth the small wait.

The blog is updated periodically. You will never miss the contents of this Blog if your Browser is tuned with Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX installed.

Some of the pictures displayed in my weblog are from my collections which I have been gathering from internet. I sincerely thank the creators for allowing me to place the same as per my liking to match my presentations. I am utilizing such pictures without altering their meta content and descriptions and in case the author of those images feels that the same is copy right owned I will ensure removal.

Dr. MUDHAN

MY BLOGS & BADGES

Blogger Liara Covert said...

It’s amazing how many different ways exist to explore creativity. Your blog reminds visitors that they are unlimited beings with much untapped potential. Keep smiling and inspiring people.